Want to get into the home automation segment but don’t know where to start?
Posted January 2017 by Susan Warren
When I was at ISC East, I noticed a lot of traditional security product companies that had been delivering traditional security products are now providing products to the home automation market and taking advantage of IoT. During the show a top level marketing person from a security products company started chatting with me about how her company might move into the home automation market. We had a great conversation and I decided to make a list of the top things to do to move into home automation.
- Become familiar with the key media. Be clear on who you're trying to reach: dealer base or consumers? Whether or not you're actually seeking product reviews, it's important to be in these magazines to achieve visibility for your brand.
- Getting product reviews is a complicated process that requires expert advice. Any product that has to be installed in order to be tested is complicated from a reviewer's standpoint. We can help them to understand the capabilities of devices even if they can’t work with it in an actual installation.
- Become familiar with the key trade shows. Like security, home automation is a market where trade shows are still important since they bring together many different types of manufacturers that use the trade show platform to become familiar to buyers and dealers for their products.
- Become familiar with how sales channels work. It’s a different set of installers from the security business. Who ultimately sells the product? A dealer, an integrator, or rep; or could it possibly be sold through retail? You need to know who the main players are so you can pair up with the right partner and supply them with the right sales tools for your product.
- Gain an understanding of how integration partners work. It’s important to communicate how your product integrates with other products, since everyone wants a system that will work seamlessly within the home. Assuring customers that you’ve partnered with interoperable products is key to establishing credibility for your brand.
If you’d like to know more about how to start selling into the home automation market, click here to download a list of the top five most effective trade shows to consider.